• 2 months later...

One last bit of G.O.D. ephemera...

I was thrilled to see a lone candy raver attempting to PLUR his way through the 0pn show at Day For Night. Let's salute him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCdt5uqvLOo&feature=youtu.be

probably waiting for that sick synth drop, evidently got bored/disappointed.

and yeah wow @ the awkward home video, how DO you find something like that? I did wonder if the voice samples were field recordings or something of kids hanging out talking shit (Lopatin within earshot with a bulge in his pocket). I guess it makes sense he'd mine the dead ends of YouTube for material instead.

• 3 weeks later...

i tried to love this release but i'm not quite impressed. fav tracks are sdfk and child of rage.

i see why ppl love him, he's a talented guy but some of the melodies are quite childish, the range of emotions is quite narrow, shallow and repetitive and because all of that the album sounds like a teen music...something that sells good today and he deserves attention but his music is just not my thing...for now, maybe next album

apologies to the fans, this is just imo

some of the melodies are quite childish, the range of emotions is quite narrow, shallow and repetitive and because all of that the album sounds like a teen music...

I always took this to be the entire idea of GoD - Like it's a concept album about the listener's misplaced teen-angst back in the day

some of the melodies are quite childish, the range of emotions is quite narrow, shallow and repetitive and because all of that the album sounds like a teen music...

I think that's meant to be the entire theme of the album - Like it's a concept album about the listener's misplaced teen-angst back in the day

maybe but his previous works are similar in this. even if you're right that's not something i'd love to listen to regularly. 

Yeah... I get where xox is coming from. I feel like GoD and R+7 both have that going on. However, after getting hooked on Replica, Russian Mind, and Betrayed in the Octogon, I have to listen to everything he puts out. There's a spark something special about his music, and it has been kinda weighed down by flash and concept on the last two, but it really shines through for me on Child of Rage on GoD, and Zebra on R+7.

Can't really hear 'childish' melodies in any 0PN. For me it's his melodic strength that keeps me listening regardless of the album or style. On paper GoD is probably an album I'd hate, but the tunes behind the chaos are what made me fall in love with it. R+7 too.

• 4 weeks later...

Do people here remember upon which video-game is the GoD cover based? I remember it's from an old dungeon crawling game, been looking for its name for 2 hours yesterday...

Sorry for the thread-bumping but it's driving me mad ^^

• 1 month later...

very pleased to see that I'm not the only one who sat down at the keyboard and played the middle section of mutant standard. it is a very memorable chord progression.

• 2 years later...

So yesterday someone posted a trance/dnb remix of Mutant Standard and his track was shared on social media by OPN himself. It's the 8+ minutes of Mutant Standard with added drums/breaks and it's really really well made !!!

Edited by Stock

• 6 months later...

This album just turned 5 today. And I gotta say, 5 years later and it's still the best thing I've ever heard. I know that for alot of people this was the album where they lost interest in the direction OPN was headed, but goodness I can't express how much this album means to me. To me it's perfect in every way. It's accompanied me during times of failure, during times of triumph, and pretty much everything in between. Garden of Delete will continue to inspire me until I hear something better. But until that day I can confidently say that it's my favorite album ever made.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Hmmm casually lurking on this thread like a curious clandestine cat.

Thought I'd revisit some old OPN as I think his last releases are total shit (Age Of and Magic Thingy). I also thought this one was shit but as we know when it comes to with our IDM Music Makers they are masters of sonic illusion. They possess power to make you think their music isn't that spectacatular, and then Hey Presto! you've done a 360 and worship now Their Sound. However GoD isn't really my cup of tea, though the second half is a lot better than I originally thought, especially Mutant Standard and Child of Rage.

In fact been listening to a lot of OPN this week. It would seem Returnal, Replica and R+7 are his masterworks. Especially the latter two.

That's it really. Just thought I'd let you know. High ?️

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alcofribas said:

beerwolf you reminded me this was the thread where the claim was made that you can't make future music with snares in it. one of the best posts of all time imo

I'll be honest with you, I've met and dealt with quite a few characters in my time. Trust me. Loads. All types of people. And all manner of great people and all manner of lunatics. In general the whole spectrum of humanity doesn't bother me that much. I've met them all. When it comes down to basics, I either derive some sort of devils advocate entertainment from them, or I like them, or I tell them to fuck off.

But you are different. When you appear on my horizon. I feel strange. And uncertain. A mysterious usurper in my midst. I must be wary of this. But a cool chap. 

As we both know (and I have told you on a few occasions) you are obviously a very unique, and intelligent individual (but we all have our unique strengths and some would be most obvious on an IDM forum, than perhaps in the outside world) and as you are a unique and intelligent chap you should know that this forum is a playground of sorts for all my ever changing moods and personalities. And sometimes a bit of troll like fun. So I shouldn't have to tell you to ignore any 'claims' I make. I love watmm because I can be whoever I want to be at that moment in time. If you think otherwise? Then you are a fucking simpleton. Which you are not.

Have a nice evening Alcofribas ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 3