IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

12 minutes ago, Thiefinger said:

Kuva

?

9 minutes ago, goDel said:

Good to see the Russian Intelligence Agency is still up and running! ?

Capitalized words were on sale today, I see.

14 hours ago, chim said:

We all know how unreliable the hacker named 4chan usually is, but this guy predicted Italy in January. 

1584037625644.jpg

Lads, not going to lie, this has me terrified.

Someone please convince me everything will be alright.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MichaelListon said:

well that wasn't the best way to start my morning...

1 hour ago, MichaelListon said:

Silver linings:

- odds of reaching climate change agreements more certain thanks to pandemic. thanks to: less traffic, less planes in the air. economy basically at zero.

- population will shrink a bit. mainly older gray stuff will fall away. mostly the gop voting "boomers", i guess. including dumpster trump.

- the young ones will mostly get through this without real issues (which might mean that snowflake mentality will become the new norm, i'm afraid)

- after the coming months - which will be shitty - the sun will come out again ?

- repeating trump news: he'll either not survive this politically or physically.

take this with a grain of salt please.

kthxbuy! ;D

I'm loathe to add to misinformation, but the UK response makes more sense if you think the virus is going to mutate into a more dangerous form.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kakapo said:

I'm loathe to add to misinformation, but the UK response makes more sense if you think the virus is going to mutate into a more dangerous form.

why? even if that doesn't happen, it makes sense, imo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, goDel said:

why? even if that doesn't happen, it makes sense, imo

I don't know if the UK response makes sense.  People are questioning why the UK are trying to balance herd immunity while mitigating effects on the vulnerable, as opposed to trying to stop the spread completely.  The UK approach makes more sense if you believe it can't be contained and that it is likely to mutate into a more dangerous form (i.e Spanish flu 1st and 2nd wave scenario, where the survivors of the first wave retained immunity for the 2nd more deadly wave).      

2 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

We can only hope that the extra few months might help them improve the lineup of releases a bit.  Another shoddy year.....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kakapo said:

I don't know if the UK response makes sense.  People are questioning why the UK are trying to balance herd immunity while mitigating effects on the vulnerable, as opposed to trying to stop the spread completely.  The UK approach makes more sense if you believe it can't be contained and that it is likely to mutate into a more dangerous form (i.e Spanish flu 1st and 2nd wave scenario, where the survivors of the first wave retained immunity for the 2nd more deadly wave).      

The UK approach makes sense if you think slamming everyone into your health system all at once is the way to get through it.

• Like 1

Austin schools closed today. Universities closed as well. Two people in the area tested positive.

Hoping my wife doesn't have to go to work much longer, her office is in the Capitol and they get a lot of visitor and tourist foot traffic. The legislature isn't in session so there's not a need for them to be there. Of course this state more so than many others has little to no substantive paid leave or other resources. Glad our kids are still in daycare but many others are now going to have to either stop going to work and/or leave their kids at home. Any kids on free breakfast/lunch programs via public are going to go hungry.

2 hours ago, MichaelListon said:

Look at the date that guy posted stuff about Italy: January 31. If you do a google search for the three weeks prior to that, there was already plenty of news media reporting on the corona outbreak in Italy. The guy is no prophet, he simply paid attention to the news and made some guesses.

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, kakapo said:

sorry for the repost:

yes, it can't be contained. regardless of the risk of mutation. UK is currently gone from containment to delay policy. simple as that.

wrt spanish flu: i know the second wave was more deadly. don't know whether that had anything to do with mutating. if you've got a credible source i'm all ears.

could the second wave be more deadly than the first with mutating though? the answer is an obvious yes. one of the reasons is that as opposed to the first wave, the second wave won't have a single starting-point like the current first wave (started in wuhan). without a single starting point the virus will spread faster and will be way more difficult to control/delay. so there reason the second wave could be more deadly is mostly because of the absolute numbers (instead of the relative numbers)