IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

I'll bring some good news into the thread: It looks like Japan and Germany has discovered a drug that binds to the ACE2 receptor in your lungs to prevent drowning in your own sputum. https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/03/03/there-is-a-drug-already-used-in-japan-which-may-treat-covid-19-says-new-study/#e0d162341270

I think this is a more realistic treatment option than a fantasy vaccine.

Edited by Entorwellian
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

I'll bring some good news into the thread: It looks like Japan and Germany has discovered a drug that binds to the ACE2 receptor in your lungs to prevent drowning in your own sputum. https://www.forbes.com/sites/victoriaforster/2020/03/03/there-is-a-drug-already-used-in-japan-which-may-treat-covid-19-says-new-study/#e0d162341270

in case not clear: a vaccine is not a treatment. it's something to prevent people from getting ill. and developing a vaccine is still a must even if this discovery is going to be a successful treatment option.

• Like 2

Why is the UK doing it differently?

Many countries are taking tough measures such as school closures, cancelling mass gatherings and severe travel restrictions. But the UK has adopted relatively modest controls. The difference can be explained partly by the fact that some of the countries are further into their epidemics.

Computer simulations indicate Britain is in the early stages. Its top scientists believe it is too soon to impose severe restrictions .

Such limitations might last several months and risk “self-isolation fatigue”, with people leaving their homes when the epidemic reaches its height. Many elderly people, who are particularly at risk of developing severe symptoms, are already isolated.

Cutting them off from their communities now, when the risks are still relatively low, would create unnecessary difficulties for them.

School closures have also yet to be announced. Such measures are effective for controlling serious flu epidemics, but Covid-19 seems to affect children less.

In addition, school closures would take many much needed NHS staff away from their jobs while they look after their own children.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:

More good news: Canadian research team isolates novel coronavirus behind COVID-19

https://globalnews.ca/news/6670445/canada-research-coronavirus-isolated/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

everything is ok here in lovely France, many people still think this thing is just a harmless little flu, especially french boomers. No workplace shutdown for me, and there's like 100 peoples working in here.

:ok:

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Burger 1

Welp, people are panic buying here like nuts. 

Lots of the large grocery stores (including Walmart) are sold out, shelves empty. 

Some looting starting (that's not very Canadian-like wtf?). 

Guys I wanted to make homemade burritos tonight this sucks.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Sad 1
  • Burger 1

1 hour ago, chenGOD said:

Look at the date that guy posted stuff about Italy: January 31. If you do a google search for the three weeks prior to that, there was already plenty of news media reporting on the corona outbreak in Italy. The guy is no prophet, he simply paid attention to the news and made some guesses.

I mean, that post is obviously white nationalist bullshit BUT it was posted on the day the first case was confirmed in Italy.  All of the stuff from earlier in January is about flu (which may or may not have included misdiagnosed Coronavirus, we have no way of knowing now).

Again, that doesn't make the /pol/ post any less bullshit.

Edited by TubularCorporation

13 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I mean, that post is obviously white nationalist bullshit BUT it was posted on the day the first case was confirmed in Italy.  All of the stuff from earlier in January is about flu (which may or may not have included misdiagnosed Coronavirus, we have no way of knowing now).

Again, that doesn't make the /pol/ post any less bullshit.

Untrue - read through some of the links from the google search result I posted.

7 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

Untrue - read through some of the links from the google search result I posted.

I got stuff about refugees from Wuhan bing helfd in quarantine a week earlier, stuff from early January comparing the severty of this year's flu to the previous year's, and stuff about how Italy wasn't ready to contain a potential outbreak.

But the first cases in Italy were confirmed on January 31st, and that's what the post seems to be capitalizing on.  Obviously it wasn't a big stretch to guess that a major outbreak was imminent there based on events in the previous weeks.

• Thanks 1

From a friend of mine that I actually know...

“... cough, headache, fever, passed out twice, chest pressure developed into pneumonia. They can’t test here in LA unless you go to an ER and wait for a long time (or are rich/famous) Urgent care did chest X-rays and sent me home to quarantine for 4 more days. 
I don’t know if I  have COVID and I’m not going to take away resources from people who are worse off than I am by insisting on a test. What I do know is I have something that’s kicked my ass for 6 days, shut down my entire office, and would have killed an older or immuno-deficient person. I know all the cancellations suck but this thing is not messing around, be safe.”

... Makes you feel safe that they can’t/won’t/don’t test for this thing in a major city, doesn’t it?

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 1

lol, our foreign department is warning against travel to France and the US, good luck guys 

Edited by Gocab
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

... Makes you feel safe that they can’t/won’t/don’t test for this thing in a major city, doesn’t it?

Testing at this point doesn't really do anything if you don't need imminent treatment. It's already known the virus is out there and it is spreading through the community. Even in the US. Regardless of what orange-head says.

Orange man will make a very important speech soon, I wonder who he will blame. Probably the foreigners. At least you'll get to enjoy a state of emergency, while hunting for toilet paper.

• Farnsworth 1

I expect people to be ahead of the curve around here. That means that toilet paper is already being stocked for the coming months, btw. Asking for immunity is a bit much at this point, imo.

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Welp, people are panic buying here like nuts. 

Lots of the large grocery stores (including Walmart) are sold out, shelves empty. 

Some looting starting (that's not very Canadian-like wtf?). 

Guys I wanted to make homemade burritos tonight this sucks.

I went in to Superstore here and holy fuck I was frightened. The line ups were going half way into all the aisles and everyone was panic buying toilet paper and medicine. I got n95 masks for work but the normal medical ones are gone nearly everywhere.

Also this guy, who has a lengthy criminal record, has been doing this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/03/12/were-hustlers-amid-coronavirus-fears-this-couple-has-made-more-than-100000-reselling-lysol-wipes.htm

Edited by Entorwellian