IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

1 hour ago, goDel said:

Our government in the Netherlands seems to have an interesting alternative approach to dealing with Covid-19. They're trying to establish group immunity. Therefore, the healthy low risk population need to get through this virus in a controlled way. (Unclear how, btw) With 50% of the population immune, the spread of the virus we be much harder.

Their reasoning is based on the fact that vaccines are at least a year away, and a sudden complete lockdown only makes sense if a vaccine will be available on short term. Otherwise, you'll end up with an indefinite lockdown (until a vaccine becomes available). So our government argues it's better to have group immunity, than to go full Wuhan. 

I think it's an interesting take. One "but" though. They need to F-ing test people. On a broader scale. There's probably some reason that's not possible right now. People need to know where they are on this thing. 

Personally, had some fever last week. Didn't last too long though. Felt better last monday. Can't say I've had Covid-19. So who knows. But if immune, I want to have my "I'm fucking immune for this bitch!" Tshirt right away so life can go on again. 

I like this approach. Targeted herd immunity.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ivan Ooze said:

Stil gotta work here between the germs, nice work belgium emoji106.png

Between The Germs could be your spin off of Between Two ferns. stay safe man 

• Haha 2

My boss just told me that I might be requisitioned because part of our work involves making hardware for morphine pump and as you could guess the world will need a few of these babies. Would be two days and only 4 people in the workplace but still, just want to stay at home and program patches on my PreenFM2...

edit : not requisitioned. 

Edited by d-a-m-o
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, kakapo said:

I am showing symptoms, and in a relative UK hotbed, living and working in central London.

I don't want to whore myself out but would people appreciate me posting developing symptoms (and recovering symptoms as well)?

Edit: To put people's minds at rest as anything else.  I don't intend this to be my epitaph.

Are you officially diagnosed with COVD-19? Because if not it's probably better if you don't, to avoid causing confusion.

That said: take care and hope you get well soon!

28 minutes ago, rhmilo said:

Are you officially diagnosed with COVD-19? Because if not it's probably better if you don't, to avoid causing confusion.

That said: take care and hope you get well soon!

Bit late for that now, see later post.  I've tried to provide context. I'm not sure what confusion I could cause.  People are aware of the most common basic symptoms, and absolutely no-one is relying on me for medical advice.

1 hour ago, Stickfigger said:

Just getting hammered every day . Every day we are breaking the previous day's record ... We are doing 2.5x usual trade and aren't geared to scale up 

just think of all the gear you'll be able to afford once this is over/normalized :emotawesomepm9:

1 hour ago, prdctvsm said:

fuck with mother nature and she gonna fuck back with you

weird seeing Netherlands/UK going this 'herd immunity' route when there are success stories of knocking it out (essentially) being shown over from South Korea/parts of China. i mean i'm not saying eventually the world may have to accept that it's out there and it's just never going away but just straight up saying 'well, trying to do the one thing we've seen work is just too hard so i guess whatever' is a bit sad.

my job on Monday started with a meeting 'meh it's not too bad, i guess we'll restrict most vendors but y'all don't freak out, this ain't a big deal, everyone is just afraid' to a few hours later going 'okay, no one at all other than office employees allowed in, absolutely no one' to the next day looking into setting up most of us to work from home. thinking that we'll be doing that work from home thing here next week most likely if not sooner? but who knows, they're flighty about shit.

weird times

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, auxien said:

weird seeing Netherlands/UK going this 'herd immunity' route when there are success stories of knocking it out (essentially) being shown over from South Korea/parts of China. i mean i'm not saying eventually the world may have to accept that it's out there and it's just never going away but just straight up saying 'well, trying to do the one thing we've seen work is just too hard so i guess whatever' is a bit sad.

Don't think it's weird at all, actually. The question for China and SK is how and when they can get out of their lockdown without having this epidemic be back in a short time (and it will start all over again). There's still a worry there. Yeah they contained that shit, but now what? Indefinite lockdown? Is that realistic? Or in other words, those success stories are not the whole story. And that immediate success is not the same as long term success.

If you can achieve 50% herd immunity in a controlled manner, there's no need to worry about this. That success will be longterm.

6 hours ago, goDel said:

Our government in the Netherlands seems to have an interesting alternative approach to dealing with Covid-19. They're trying to establish group immunity. Therefore, the healthy low risk population need to get through this virus in a controlled way. (Unclear how, btw) With 50% of the population immune, the spread of the virus we be much harder.

Their reasoning is based on the fact that vaccines are at least a year away, and a sudden complete lockdown only makes sense if a vaccine will be available on short term. Otherwise, you'll end up with an indefinite lockdown (until a vaccine becomes available). So our government argues it's better to have group immunity, than to go full Wuhan. 

I think it's an interesting take. One "but" though. They need to F-ing test people. On a broader scale. There's probably some reason that's not possible right now. People need to know where they are on this thing. 

Personally, had some fever last week. Didn't last too long though. Felt better last monday. Can't say I've had Covid-19. So who knows. But if immune, I want to have my "I'm fucking immune for this bitch!" Tshirt right away so life can go on again. 

Yeah, I'd like to get tested as well but I don't wanna burden any healthcare service right now.

26 minutes ago, goDel said:

Yeah they contained that shit, but now what? Indefinite lockdown?

naw, that's not how it works really. i mean sure that's an option but entirely unrealistic. i have to go to work so can't research and show right now but basically once you get it down to really low levels with proper knowledge and testing you can keep it from exploding, basically. that's my understanding based on what i've read at least.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, auxien said:

naw, that's not how it works really. i mean sure that's an option but entirely unrealistic. i have to go to work so can't research and show right now but basically once you get it down to really low levels with proper knowledge and testing you can keep it from exploding, basically. that's my understanding based on what i've read at least.

At what cost though. This thing is out there. We've all seen how fast this thing has travelled the entire globe. I'm sure China has some plan in place. But I'm sceptic about either the cost or how realistic it is.

Either way, assuming that they (china) do have a viable/working alternative, why wouldn't there be multiple viable approaches? Not saying "there can be only one", right?

And the thing with this alternative approach is that you're also actively working on controlling the virus. Just in a different way. It's not like there's no controlling mechanism present to keep the demand on the healthcare-system at a reasonable level. Really, it makes sense. If there's an alternative without having the risk of things exploding in your face, this is it, I reckon.

And the China model is not a model which I would expect to work in Western societies, if I'm perfectly honest with you. People would not accept their freedom to be taken away for such long periods and in such intrusive ways.

Edited by goDel

I can see this tearing some American families apart, we've been so divided by politics, and Rupert Murdoch played a huge role in that.  Murdoch and Ailes introduced the whole alt right alternative facts mentality that played on the paranoia of post 9/11, and ran with it.  Two terms of Bush/Cheney gave that an environment to thrive, and now we're reaping what Fox sowed.  Some of my family are already melting down, they just don't want to face reality, some say this is still a media hoax.  Almost all of them have mental or emotional issues, and it breaks my heart.  I might be asked to leave, and that's a whole nother long story.  I can't even be honest with my gf about the possible outcomes, but I love her so much and I'll do what's necessary.  It not a good time to be a Farr.  Stay strong watmm.

• Like 1

Some weird contrasts being made between 'lock-downs' and 'group' immunity in this thread.

You all realize more of us will eventually get this virus than not regardless, right?

The 'lock-downs' are imperfect either by design or because of human nature but a controlled spread of the virus is exactly what they will lead to. Catching the virus is inevitable for many of us even under the lock-down conditions. As long as we're out there getting groceries, health care and meds, doing essential labor etcetera it will happen (if it hasn't already in the weeks preceding the measures), just slower which is the whole point.

This group immunity thing probably sounds like some bad-ass calculating shit right now but will the UK and the Netherlands stay so cool when their health systems get completely overwhelmed? I'll believe it when I see it.

• Thanks 1