IGNORED

What TV series are you watching at moment?

Npoess

I thought Jerry was supposed to be an unlikeable douchebag but what do I know.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

he was, it's just that his IRL vanity influences his show character i guess, idk maybe i'm wrong

6 hours ago, Silent Member said:

Maybe, but his character just feels like he's the only one on the show not really acting, or seeming too similar to his stand-up/real-life self. Like he's just a prop and people are acting around him. And he can't keep a straight face. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2022 at 10:59 PM, Squee said:

Also, make sure not to skip anything in The Sopranos from now on. 

Even the end credits it would seem. They just rolled on the last episode of season 3 and I just got this unexpected surprise. And it worked.

• Like 3

On 4/26/2022 at 1:59 AM, sidewinder said:

Maybe, but his character just feels like he's the only one on the show not really acting, or seeming too similar to his stand-up/real-life self. Like he's just a prop and people are acting around him. And he can't keep a straight face. 

I read in an AMA on Reddit that this was basically the setup 

He's the only 'normal' guy in the show, while the rest are goofballs. That makes it extra funny. Of course he's a douchebag though which makes it even better (more cynical).

And yeah the Sopranos.. im almost into the last season:( 

• Like 1

Au-delà des murs (Beyond the Walls) 

So... not sure if this is a tv series or should count as movie, but I just posted in the films thread sooooo

A three part miniseries (or, maybe just a longish movie), french surrealist horror. I was doing a search for visual stuffs that had a House of Leaves vibe/Backrooms feel and this came up. 

Its great. Best to go in not knowing much, but the use of liminal spaces is both well done and ends up going into unexpected places. One of those things where there is an underlying set pf philosophical principles that use the space as metaphor for internal, human things, not just "oh cool that's soooon weird." There's more than horror here, there is examination of loss, the human condition, love, etc. 

Its not perfect. Some parts feel rushed and underdeveloped while others feel, perhaps, too languid. The visuals are not the best, but they do carry with them shades of Lynch, and (thank GOD) understand they are working within budgetary limits that shouldn't be exceeded. What that means is the .... things you see may feel slightly theatrical, but will age incredibly well, as the horrors are less about how things look as much as they are about the ideas about why they do. 

On that topic, there are things that are left unexplained, in thr best way possible. Not that there isn't a conclusion (a very, very good one imop), more that the way things are presented are left up to you to think on/intepret. Less is more, show don't tell done right. 

8 tesseracts / 5 and a half minute hallways 

• Like 1

Russian Doll S2 - actually liked it better than S1

Moon Knight - jeez what a train wreck, Marvel shows keep getting worse and more incoherent 

Picard S2 - really wanted to like this, but it also went off the rails. Maybe they can salvage S3 with the entire Enterprise-D crew?

Atlanta S3 - not sure where Glover is going with this 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Russian Doll S2 - actually liked it better than S1

s01 was horrendous, s02 was indeed actually pretty good !

• Burger 1

Atlanta season 3 is awesome, wtf. Not quite up to speed, but everything has been super duper so far.

Edit: it's been more of an Afro-American Black Mirror than the previous seasons though. It's like he took the Teddy Perkins episode and ran with it. More interesting take anyway imo.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 3

Apologies in advance for the bad vibes: 

Tokyo Vice - I gave up on this after about 4 episodes. Nothing matches the heights of the Michael Mann directed pilot. The American characters are so lame. Ansel Elgort has 0 charm or presence. 

Russian Doll - I binged season 1 a few years ago in a day or two, so was excited to check out season 2. Not doing it for me. Quippy main characters drive me up the wall. Did they dial it up or something? What happened to writing jokes?

Atlanta - One of the best tv shows, yet I can't help but feeling like this season is a bit of a mixed bag. There seems to be less humour this time. Some of the messages and techniques feel a little obvious now. I really hope the story of these characters is leading somewhere, although nothing suggests that it is.

?‍♂️

• Like 2

On 4/30/2022 at 3:16 AM, Rubin Farr said:

Moon Knight - jeez what a train wreck, Marvel shows keep getting worse and more incoherent 

Picard S2 - really wanted to like this, but it also went off the rails. Maybe they can salvage S3 with the entire Enterprise-D crew?

I'm really enjoying Moon Knight. Most Marvel stuff grates on me, but their well-tested Explosions & Wisecracks formula works well with this character for me. 

I am only watching Picard so I can watch along with the RedLetterMedia reviews. I have no fucking clue what is going on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Watching Foundation, 2 episodes left. While not mind-bending, it's fantastically well executed / acted / directed etc. I can't even imagine the budget needed, the series look like something many huge blockbuster movies could be jealous of. Never thought "television" could look that expensive.

• Like 4

On 5/1/2022 at 7:06 AM, gnarlybog said:

Tokyo Vice - I gave up on this after about 4 episodes. Nothing matches the heights of the Michael Mann directed pilot. The American characters are so lame. Ansel Elgort has 0 charm or presence. 

hadn't seen this one mentioned yet on here. I stopped after ep2, and on the fence whether I'm going to jump back in or not. a whole bunch of wooden, bad acting turned me off from this show. and the story seems very straightforward, a by the numbers plot that doesn't seem really that interesting. Ansel Elgort is really not doing a good job in this, and he's more or less in every single scene. 

Finished S2 of The Righteous Gemstones. It definitely delivered despite my initial worries. The show is painfully derivative of the Cohen Bros and has some problematic PC stuff but it’s highly entertaining. 

Also started Barry S3. Monumentally fucking incredible, obviously. 

While I’m waiting for new episodes of Barry to come out I’m re-watching watching S2 of This Time With Alan Partridge on DailyMotion (as far as I can tell it’s the only way to watch it in the US) and the fucking pop-up ads on that site are severely, insanely, inhumanly brutal. Not only are there commercial interruptions every 3-5 minutes AND pop-up banner ads that block the top quarter of the screen but the site has auto-play ads for some bank that are 30 percent louder than the show that you can’t stop and play on a loop during the show. The experience is like reaching the lowest circle of hell. 
But god is that show worth it. 

On 4/29/2022 at 7:16 PM, Rubin Farr said:

Isn't that what actually makes it good? Haven't seen the whole thing but the goofiness is quite enjoyable... Anyway I'm not a comics buff so what do I know... ?‍♂️

Re-watching Stranger Things for the third time over.  Been having some health issues and that show just makes me feel good.  As much as I hate spending time staring at a screen, it sure can lift my mood.

New Season coming out too and the trailer looks pretty bonkers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Finished S2 of The Righteous Gemstones. It definitely delivered despite my initial worries. The show is painfully derivative of the Cohen Bros and has some problematic PC stuff but it’s highly entertaining.

What stuff?

• Like 1

hajime no ippo.  I only have about 10 ep left so I'm savoring them.  What a great cast of characters.  The music/sound fx were a surprise stand out in terms of creativity and especially humor.

• Like 1