Rewatched the Coen bros movie Hail, Caesar! It holds up surprisingly well. They take a lot of flack for loading their films with style over substance, references to classic film, and irony, but their recent movies seem to have a lot of heart starting with True Grit. Might revisit some of their earlier stuff, kind of curious to see if there's some heart in The Hudsucker Proxy.

yt7734.jpg

this is one of those john waters' films i'd watched only parts of. have to say, out of all his early films, this is probably the one i feel least showcases his style. most of it is a setup of what the story really is- then when things start to happen you realize it's almost a wrap. 

personally favorite waters film is 'desperate living'  which is quite an assault on the senses

220px-Slugs-film-poster.jpg

classic 'gross' horror film that outdoes itself with a cheesy concept taken that extra mile with lines like "after i take care of those slugs- what do you say you and i get naked and go crazy?"

Edited by Nebraska

Watched Parasite. I didn't like his other films. This one was good, but I felt it would have been better as a TV show. He would have had more time to explore all the characters and the motivations.

On 10/27/2019 at 5:53 PM, Nebraska said:

yt7734.jpg

this is one of those john waters' films i'd watched only parts of. have to say, out of all his early films, this is probably the one i feel least showcases his style. most of it is a setup of what the story really is- then when things start to happen you realize it's almost a wrap. 

personally favorite waters film is 'desperate living'  which is quite an assault on the senses

220px-Slugs-film-poster.jpg

classic 'gross' horror film that outdoes itself with a cheesy concept taken that extra mile with lines like "after i take care of those slugs- what do you say you and i get naked and go crazy?"

you can't beat locking a baby in a refrigerator.

23 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

My gf is all about Dia de los Muertos this week, so we watched Coco.  Very cute and amazingly colorful, especially in 4K HDR.

coco.jpg

Loved this movie.  So awesome that there was an El Santo reference.

• Like 1

spacer.png

This is one of those movies that haunted me as a kid. I probably first saw it when I was 9 and way too young to understand most of it, but some images from this film stuck in my head to this day. Watched it last night for the first time since then, and it's a pretty decent haunted house story.

• Like 1

just slogged through “Us”

hahahahaha what a total piece of shit!!!!! boring, bad acting, disaster of a plot, about as “deep” as a paper cut. So they represent the “have-nots” but they’re evil. So the moral of the story is fuck the poor marginalized people. What? Dumbest movie I’ve seen in a long time. I thought midsommar was overrated but that looks like genius level filmmaking in comparison to this garbage. I thought get out was cute but then horribly propped up by the woke echo chamber of libs as something “deeply vital” good to know peele doesn’t really have that much to say. Too bad because I think he’s a really funny guy. 

On 10/24/2019 at 3:48 PM, Taupe Beats said:

One of the all-time great experimental short films was made entirely out of footage from The Entity

I got incredibly lucky and saw this for the first time in a theater back in '01-'02 (it was part of a full Tscherkassky retrospective, no less). Was the major catalyst for my interest in film.

i like it , cheers. quite uncomfortable, kinda like Entity from the Entities perspective. 

• Like 1

On 10/29/2019 at 7:18 PM, Rubin Farr said:

My gf is all about Dia de los Muertos this week, so we watched Coco.  Very cute and amazingly colorful, especially in 4K HDR.

coco.jpg

One of the more tolerable Disney movies, indeed. The colorful dia de los muertes stuff *almost* make up for the shitty story.

3 hours ago, rhmilo said:

One of the more tolerable Disney movies, indeed. The colorful dia de los muertes stuff *almost* make up for the shitty story.

The backgrounds were amazing and I love how they hid skulls in everything.

• Like 1

Midsommar: Remember that episode of It's Always Sunny where they have a drunk dance-off all night and the last one standing wins? Well in Midsommar, the main character wins that contest so she is immediately welcomed into a weird cult and she gets to dump her boyfriend with the support of her cool hip new Euro-friends during a chill trip abroad. 

Watched a bootleg, Italian dubbed, taped copy of Wrath of Kahn on a 13” TV/VCR combo in a bunker/bomb shelter with a veteran friend of mine who hasn’t seen the sun in four years. There are far better ways to see a film but then you won't hear the batshit theories about Chekov’s true lineage and ultimate destiny, like I did. I’d relay what I heard but it required a vow of secrecy and that extends online where I come from

4 hours ago, Det Bluto said:

Watched a bootleg, Italian dubbed, taped copy of Wrath of Kahn on a 13” TV/VCR combo in a bunker/bomb shelter with a veteran friend of mine who hasn’t seen the sun in four years. There are far better ways to see a film but then you won't hear the batshit theories about Chekov’s true lineage and ultimate destiny, like I did. I’d relay what I heard but it required a vow of secrecy and that extends online where I come from

pics or gtfo

Got to see The Irishman yesterday. 
If you are a big Scorsese fan, you should see it, for sure. Without going into too much detail, I’ll just say it’s long and slow. 
I can’t help but blame it on the fact that everyone is really old now. Still, I enjoyed it. I just wouldn’t put it near the top of my Scorsese list. Also, Harvey Keitel is criminally underused... along with every female actor in the movie. 

9 hours ago, kichiguy said:

pics or gtfo

Only because a veteran who hasn’t seen daylight in years and the abode he resides in are amazingly agreeable photo subjects will I get said pics for you. Just a moment.

21 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Got to see The Irishman yesterday. 
If you are a big Scorsese fan, you should see it, for sure. Without going into too much detail, I’ll just say it’s long and slow. 
I can’t help but blame it on the fact that everyone is really old now. Still, I enjoyed it. I just wouldn’t put it near the top of my Scorsese list. Also, Harvey Keitel is criminally underused... along with every female actor in the movie. 

What about the visual effects of making them younger? Is it distracting? I've watched the trailer and while it looked 95% fine, those other 5% looked artificial as hell.