real music has to be made by faceless "uncompromised" musicians with at the very least 15 years of languishing in obscurity, also they have to know the importance of throbbing gristle and zoviet france, and also mick harris invented dubstep

im glad this album came out so i could read these words

real music has to be made by faceless "uncompromised" musicians with at the very least 15 years of languishing in obscurity, also they have to know the importance of throbbing gristle and zoviet france, and also mick harris invented dubstep

im glad this album came out so i could read this and other funny posts itt, without necessarily having to listen to the album

fixt

still yet to receive my pre-order CD from Bleep. figured it'd be sent to arrive on around or a bit after the release date.

yeah strangely enough I haven't even seen this in stores yet. Warp's AU distribution is so patchy

Still digesting this. I like it, but at the risk of sounding like someone stuck in his old ways, I still strongly prefer OPN's "Rifts"-era work. Some of the tracks that he performed at the NIN show in Chicago had that feel, and the visuals had this stutter-strobe other-dimensional quality that I don't find in this most recent album. I had my hopes up that more of that style of music would make its way onto this album. It doesn't seem to, though. While that's a bit of a let down to me, I can still appreciate what he's going for here, which is how I felt about "R+7". In particular, "Child of Rage" is the standout track to me here: that clip at the beginning of the child explaining that his brother is afraid of him because he hurts him so much is pretty haunting in an unusual way, and it does a nice job of setting the tone for a track with much emotional ambiguity. It's a piece that has a nice reminder that even situations where love should be easy and natural are not universal, and sometimes people are just cold and complicated. The track they made the video for ("Sticky Drama") is okay, but feels a bit more transparent to me than OPN's work usually is. As several people here have also remarked, I'm not such a fan of the chipmunk-y vocals, but they are worked through a strange OPN-filter, so I think they're okay overall. My son seemed to like that track quite a bit. Don't know what to make of that, exactly. I suspect that OPN is conscientiously striving to reach a broader, young audience--the videos featured younger actors, the interviews focus on themes of teenage angst, the nostalgia seems to be steered in a direction that is quite younger than I am. All of this is fine: and he seems successful in this regard. I'm curious how financially successful this album is or will be. I've noticed that Warp is pushing this pretty hard, and that the reviewers are generally quite positive about the work. Again, that's all fine and good. Just being honest, but this isn't my favorite OPN work, but it isn't my least-favorite OPN album, either. And even my least-favorite OPN album utterly kills most of the albums in my library, the vast majority of which I love. So, in short, I have mixed feelings about this album so far, but I am curious to see how my feelings about it will change over time. There's also plenty to think about and talk about here, which I always appreciate. I'm a bit confused about Lopatin's claims that this isn't a concept album, since it feels very much like a concept album and his press/promotion leading up to it feels very much like a concept piece. It seems that I'm not alone in this, since a few of you also seem to take this as a concept album. So, again, I don't know; definitely mixed feelings here, but I like it. But may I just say, I utterly hate the cover art. Hate that. The melty face of the boy or even the 16-bit dog image would have been infinitely better. Okay. That's enough from me for now.

i'm trying really hard to like this, but .... i'm just not feeling it that much tbh.. mutant standard is great but the rest is s little too "self-conscious" or something, like he's psyching himself out rather than letting his mind just flow with the ideas. well w/e r + 7 is a lot better

not too hyped on this, still feel compelled to search out the CD for its novelty. seems like most everybody agrees that Mutant Standard/Child of Rage are the highlights.. i wish there was more to chew on, it feels too lean/concise aside from the SDFK/MS/CoR part of the album.. going back to R + Seven, finding it more habitable.

still yet to receive my pre-order CD from Bleep. figured it'd be sent to arrive on around or a bit after the release date.

yeah strangely enough I haven't even seen this in stores yet. Warp's AU distribution is so patchy

Can't find it here either (I guess New Zealand will normally have the same distribution as Australia?). I've been listening on Spotify.

As for the album, I've been listening to it pretty much constantly for the last week but it feels more like a pop album to me. A really good pop album, but like... it has this catchy, immediacy about it, so it gives me the same kinda feel as say, the new Chvrches album did.... which I had on loop for about 2 weeks and then got bored of, but I'm sure I'll dig it up every now and again.

That's what I think GoD is. Replica and r+7 were completely impenetrable to me for about a year. That kind of slow opening-up is more comparable to the more difficult albums by Squarepusher and Autechre (or even like... a good jazz album... been getting into jazz this year and sometimes it takes a couple of months for an album to make sense).

Anyway... I obviously really enjoy GoD... so I'm not saying it's bad by any means... I just don't think it's particularly deep... and I don't think music has to be deep in terms of theme (there are plenty of incredible, simple songs about love for instance), but in terms of like... structure and performance and stuff I think the best music IS really deep.... I think I should stop now I'm just babbling....

not too hyped on this, still feel compelled to search out the CD for its novelty. seems like most everybody agrees that Mutant Standard/Child of Rage are the highlights.. i wish there was more to chew on, it feels too lean/concise aside from the SDFK/MS/CoR part of the album.. going back to R + Seven, finding it more habitable.

Freaky Eyes/Lift. :tongue:

As for the album, I've been listening to it pretty much constantly for the last week but it feels more like a pop album to me. A really good pop album, but like... it has this catchy, immediacy about it, so it gives me the same kinda feel as say, the new Chvrches album did.... which I had on loop for about 2 weeks and then got bored of, but I'm sure I'll dig it up every now and again.

have to agree. GoD is a pretty incredible album, but after blasting it for a couple of weeks after it leaked I'm not really going back to it too much; it absolutely becomes fatiguing. I became obsessed with OPN's earlier works when I discovered it and I haven't stopped listening to it regularly ever.

I went to the show in Seattle last night. I have not heard the album, as I was hoping to enjoy it live first.

Not a fun time! The strobes and the looping video (god dammit, Nate Boyce visuals) and the voice filter were all very unpleasant and distracting.

The voice filter was used to tune and morph his voice during a few tracks, and was really well utilized then. However it was kept on the whole show, and for much of the rest of the show, the voice was louder than the track behind it, and was tuned to an horrible vibrating monotone. You know the low pitched growling noises in the end of Sticky Drama, and the processed vocals in the Kaoss Edge demos? That, super loud, through all of I Bite Through It and Sticky Drama, and in the onstage chatter between tracks!

The visuals were repetitive, and having large TVs going the whole show was disassociating and obnoxious. Few nice things, mostly ugly 3d crap very similar to R+7. Not really interested in Nate Boyce's art.

I had invited a friend and he clearly was very tense and not having a good time, so we hung out in the bar, and I enjoyed the music a lot more from the other room... Just not a happy atmosphere in that show. Fun parts were very quickly eclipsed by painful distorted bits and mid-bass in unpleasant ranges turned up too high. Overall basically the opposite of cathartic, which is why I go to shows

I will be happy to listen to the album in safety where I can set the volume and the listening environment

Hmm, I was at the show as well and thought it was quite good. I was on the balcony and the should was great. The strobes and TV graphics didn't bother me much as I only had a partial view of them. I did notice some repetition in the graphics and wasn't generally a fan of the style, but I had a pretty good view of the performers and focused on that most of the time. The setup was cool but the graphics could have been cooler.

Maybe it's because I've only heard his last two albums and I'm not that super familiar with the material, but I was impressed with the quality of the show.

Yeah, I'm sure balcony would have been a little better. Distance was helpful, I was in the back for a bit and that was better. It was largely just overstimulating, I have been overworked and not getting lots of sleep, and this was absolutely the wrong show.

Re: crap 3d visuals; I realize that is the point, but it is very similar to the R+7 visuals, and does not seem to be saying anything new or worthwhile. 5 minutes of a 20 second loop of a weird vacuum cleaner thing behind a poorly rendered couch?

All I'm saying is, I've seen way better crap 3d art by basically anonymous people on youtube, not impressed by Nate Boyce, would have enjoyed just lights and background visuals a lot more. Felt like it was trying too hard for sure

Guest bitroast

yeee. saw opn last year(?), butt end of R+7 tour.

support act was robin fox with crazy laser idm show **

and then afterwards was OPN with the crappy 3D visual art power point slide show. this was in makeshift outdoor venue with 1 tiny projector screen all the way at front of stage. needless to say, the visual side of the OPN was totally underwhelming and afterwards pretty much everyone was complaining about the visuals and saying they stunk and especially so compared to the laser show. the laser show was like this ultimate, immersive "high", and then that was followed by "look at the aesthetic on this shit looking not animated 3D blob".

the show was still amazing though. music was BEAUTIFUL and seemed very ' live ' and fluid (ala autechre??). very good ' electronic live show'. but the visuals and complete lack of immersion brought on by the visuals definitely didn't do the show any favours.

** robin fox

i dont even mind the 3d clipshow thing in the context of watching it on youtube next to the music, but in the context of a live show with little lighting (other than, sterile venue lighting), the visuals went in the direction of removing immersion??

Guest bitroast

i mean, sure. yeah. whatever. lasers are cheesy.

audience after laser show "that was incredible".

audience after opn show "that was underwhelming and shit." "that was underwhelming, but then i closed my eyes and stopped paying attention to the shit visuals and enjoyed the 2nd half." etc. etc.

just talking from experience, you know?

lasers may be cheesy but fuckit man. it works.

slide show presention with rotating 3d object for hour .. is .. kind of boring.

lasers may be cheesy but fuckit man. it works.

Nothing wrong with a good laser show. (this comes to mind immediately, would have been mental)

cheesy works sometime. (shit I have a lava lamp in my tripout room)...

Edited by StephenG