IGNORED

Machinedrum - Human Energy

usagi

Angel Speak is my guilty pleasure of the month

LET THE TRUMPETS HIT

THE FLOOR

Nothing guilty I think its whopper. But I think Tell U is my jam too.

Then again, spectrum sequence is quality.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People saying that they don't like the album is good for discussion,

the more I think about it, the less I even think there's a positive outcome that can be found when people share what they dont like. 

only share and put effort for things you like, let go as fast as possible what you dont like.

edit: the album reminded me of john wizards. a couple of fun tracks!

I just wanted to apologize if I offended anyone (in addition to chassis) for being so brash in my dislike for this album.

If that were an IRL transaction I would have deserved a swift kick to the head.  heh.

I just wanted to apologize if I offended anyone (in addition to chassis) for being so brash in my dislike for this album.

Meh. I liked it ok though TBH I'd be more indifferent if 1. I was more cynical, as I used to be when I joined WATMM 2. this was an artist who wasn't Machinedrum, who I place in the same respect level as the featured artists.

This has, rightfully or not, become the designated album to shit on in 2016. The sacrificial lamb for all of our electronic music trend grievances. (I get a lot of the ire toward it because it's hitting on a lot of stuff that's fucking annoying and played out in EDM / electronic music in general but I don't think this is the album to level in that criticism.)

Every year there's a flashpoint album that is viciously loved or hated and endlessly argue over. I'm a bit over engaging it though I enjoy the banter that's ongoing. I chuckle at most of the flat out roasts.

If that were an IRL transaction I would have deserved a swift kick to the head.  heh.

you didnt offend me mate, it was just annoying and to be honest it wasnt you that annoyed me. Its just shitty when you want to have conversations about an album and people come in over and over again to say how shit the album is without even bother to properly express why they don't like it. Disagreement creates good conversation and debate, but if your sole purpose is just to shit on others that like something then whats the fucking point.

A poor review has as much merit as a gleaming one, but at least its a fucking review.

I would never expect Machinedrum to release another album that I felt the same way about as Rooms, in my book its probably impossible. The timing of that album both in music and in my own life and how it sounds that sweet spot between well developed and raw is so hard to hit that most artists don't know that they've hit it because as soon as the realise it, its already gone, you already have too much awareness of your skills and what your trying to achieve, that you can mimic it. Luke Vibert made the same point about Plug, that he became to aware of DnB and that the rawness left the music with better skill.

But evolution of sounds is far preferable than stagnating and just fade into nothing. I can see why people think he's missed the boat, if this album were a few years earlier would it be received the same way? I appreciate what he was going for, I don't think he did a 5 star job and it just short of the mark, but had this been slightly better it would hit all the right buttons for everyone and there would be no question. Often trying and not quite succeeding make people more critical of something. Maybe it's because Machinedrum has consistently given top class albums and EPs these last few years.

But to be honest, i dont think I want to judge this album in comparison to one of my favourite albums. It's different and I enjoy it. It has some absolute bangers too.

I would never expect Machinedrum to release another album that I felt the same way about as Rooms, in my book its probably impossible. The timing of that album both in music and in my own life and how it sounds that sweet spot between well developed and raw is so hard to hit that most artists don't know that they've hit it because as soon as the realise it, its already gone, you already have too much awareness of your skills and what your trying to achieve, that you can mimic it. Luke Vibert made the same point about Plug, that he became to aware of DnB and that the rawness left the music with better skill.

But evolution of sounds is far preferable than stagnating and just fade into nothing. I can see why people think he's missed the boat, if this album were a few years earlier would it be received the same way? I appreciate what he was going for, I don't think he did a 5 star job and it just short of the mark, but had this been slightly better it would hit all the right buttons for everyone and there would be no question. Often trying and not quite succeeding make people more critical of something. Maybe it's because Machinedrum has consistently given top class albums and EPs these last few years.

But to be honest, i dont think I want to judge this album in comparison to one of my favourite albums. It's different and I enjoy it. It has some absolute bangers too.

Good post mate.

Enjoy it for what it is, a nice little LP, with the odd banger. Good vibes on it also. I'm a fan :)

I just went to the turbo crunk event host by the RBMA on Saturday and I must say that it was just a crazy night! Best rave gig I experience in a very long time.

I wasn't sure about the album at first mainly because of the new EDM direction, but after getting the energy from the live set, I'm totally enjoying that new sound. 

Travis & Trevor brother is sort of weird to me. I get the sense that he has a really amazing knack at excelling at whatever style he puts his hand to but that maybe he lacks a particularly distinct vision or voice of his own? I'm not totally sure on this but I feel like he's the kind of producer who could just pick a genre and nail it and this particular record seems to be the first indication of him kind of loosing the plot somewhat, like where substance has totally given over to style. He's like too good at style maybe? Idk.

I think rooms and vaporwave cities are both really excellent, with the former presenting some really impressive melodic personality especially. The dude has mad skills and there are many moments on those records where he really is a force to be reckoned with. But this shit? Fuck nah.

As for the crystal lovey bullshit, we've prob all been there. You fall in love, everything is so magical and great, life is open, the birds in the trees are totally in on it with you, every trivial coincidence is an unravelling beautiful resonance of pure love, fucking double rainbows every time you even think about cumming, etc. But to outsiders you just look like a twat and a couple years down the road you're looking at your tarot packs and chakra book receipts like "flol what was that shit???"

I'm probably the most non-new age person on the planet (top-10 at least), and this album has just re-aligned my chakras, charged my crystals, and set my aura to a pleasant turquoise colour. Excellent, really like it. Comparisons to Rustie and newer Hudmo are off I think (I dislike all of that), this is far less cheesy and obvious, there's actually some really good melodies on here. Production is lush, relentless driving energy about it too. Top marks.

Archived