IGNORED

Oneohtrix Point Never - Age Of

someguy

I love the conceptual shit, bring it on

Yup.

'Pleasant' as the Rifts stuff is, it's not *interesting* and a lot of it feels like you could be listening to some arp generator app or something.

I like what Cryptowen said above about Lopatin showing more of himself/putting more of his personality into his records from Returnal onwards.

“Pleasantly boring” is a good description of the rifts stuff.

a broader discussion could potentially be had about what we mean when we’re calling this “conceptual” and how that differs from records that are not. I’d also be curious to think about other “conceptual” albums, exploring how some succeed or fail. but that’s prob another thread.

imo the most flawless conceptual records are by kraftwerk

yeah computer world is a good example of a successful concept album. dlo opened my eyes to that. I think the thing that makes those albums work is how accessible they are and how organically the conceptual framework is built into the album. Opn is just tedious by comparison.

Yup.

'Pleasant' as the Rifts stuff is, it's not *interesting* and a lot of it feels like you could be listening to some arp generator app or something.

I like what Cryptowen said above about Lopatin showing more of himself/putting more of his personality into his records from Returnal onwards.

a broader discussion could potentially be had about what we mean when we’re calling this “conceptual” and how that differs from records that are not. I’d also be curious to think about other “conceptual” albums, exploring how some succeed or fail. but that’s prob another thread.

yeah computer world is a good example of a successful concept album. dlo opened my eyes to that. I think the thing that makes those albums work is how accessible they are and how organically the conceptual framework is built into the album. Opn is just tedious by comparison.

Each album reminds me of that m night shyamalan robot chicken meme. Every song its just about the next twist rather than a pleasant cohesive track (and subsequently album). 

Comes off as clunky, and the attempt to be as avant-garde as possible is why some people are saying pretentious. 

Yup.

Each album reminds me of that m night shyamalan robot chicken meme. Every song its just about the next twist rather than a pleasant cohesive track (and subsequently album). 

Comes off as clunky, and the attempt to be as avant-garde as possible is why some people are saying pretentious. 

That should read - "each successive album reminds me more and more of that...meme". 

OOh! Our new friend lickneonlights probably likes this a lot. Seems up his alley. heh 

(sorry guys can't edit posts for some reason, not meaning to multipost).

I like BCM's burger posts mostly. 

ehrm… I've been listening a lot of The Necks and Acid Mothers Temple (catching up on discography thx not-chatmm) lately?

Ok, I was just wondering! I like those burgers as well.

I'm more of a Rifts/Returnal/Replica guy myself. His more recent stuff can be a little too "lol random" to really connect with imotbqh. I wanna hear his take on grindcore/powerviolence though

I wanna hear his take on grindcore/powerviolence though

lol yeah he should team up with a grindcore band and produce/engineer their next album

actually forget that, he should produce the next Korn album

Age Of gets better with each listen imo. Tracks that I thought were weak at first are starting to unravel - yeah, even Babylon!!

Still think Same is his best track ever. It's hard for the remaining tracks of the album to exist after such a beast.

Age Of gets better with each listen imo. Tracks that I thought were weak at first are starting to unravel - yeah, even Babylon!!

Yeah, this. This album deserves to be listened to on headphones. Absorb the exquisite detail without distractions. I still love R+7 something special, but I think Age Of is surpassing GoD for me.

is that joanna lumley at the beginning of Manifold?

l4pyVv1.jpg

FOOL TO DREAM MACHINE TO DUST, DARLING

oh yeah and Toys 2 definitely has a little bit at the end on my vinyl copy as well

appears some record stores still have the limited release cards, too. currently in the US for work, dropped past the record store in Philly that apparently had them and they gave me the last two they had - didn't expect them to have any.

agreed this album gets better with every listen too. rly enjoying it.

edit: except Babylon, that track gets skipped every fkn listen

Edited by xf

Aye, sometimes it comes on and I just cringe all the way through, other times I sort of "get" it and its exaggerated earnestness

It reminds me a lot of the Pure and the Damned track from the Good Time OST but that's a lot less on the nose (Iggy Pop's vocal talent probably helps a lot there). The final scene it's used for is pretty powerful too.

Edited by WeAreOceans

Yeah, Babylon can go to hell.  It's always neat when watmm can collectively agree on something.  The rest of the album is quite excellent, and Black Snow was the right choice as a single.

toys 2 is my go to,babylon is pretty divisive it seems,doesn,t help coming after the title track maybe? i dislike the chorus,but dont mind the rest of it,still stuff... is another fave,the ending is so good,great release again from daniel,my favourite artists always seem to be the ones who are instantly recognisable whilst sounding like no-one else,opn is right up there for me