IGNORED

Plaid - Polymer

fumi

Lol I can't stand Rest Proof Clockwork! Might have another pointless revisit because it's apparently their best album (???). Just one of those music brilliant enigmas. But you know that's what makes some artists (Autechre being the prime classic example on Planet Earth) interesting. Trust me that's what's special about Warp artists. A decade you hate it, then it blows your brains out.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beer badger said:

Lol I can't stand Rest Proof Clockwork! Might have another pointless revisit because it's apparently their best album (???). Just one of those music brilliant enigmas. But you know that's what makes some artists (Autechre being the prime classic example on Planet Earth) interesting. Trust me that's what's special about Warp artists. A decade you hate it, then it blows your brains out.

If it helps, you’re not alone here. Rest Proof Clockwork does nothing for me either, save one or two tracks. If the universe gave me a choice between it and Not For Threes, it’s Threes every time

Thumbs up from me as well. I don't wanna say a return to form cause I really liked the last couple of Plaid records but it feels like being back in the 90s when their sound design and production was shoulder to shoulder with the likes of AFX/Ae. Since the return from hiatus theyve provided plenty of great music but it has felt like they were ploughing their own furrow a little bit, but this one somehow sounds more cutting edge. Hope they get some plaudits + extra sales for this one, top stuff lads.

Album still needs a proper listen, but my first impression is mixed. For about half of the album I get a sense I'm listening to artists just doing their thing. And perfectly so, I might add. As a number of you mentioned, production is impeccable. But the music seems a bit too much within their comfort zone, if you ask me. I'd rather have a bit more experimentation and uncertainty.

Which is also on the album, btw. And is what made me buy it anyways. Even if I didn't like all of it at first sight. So yeah, mixed bag. Will spend more time with it. Couple of new directions. And also a couple of really safe tracks. Too safe, imo.

I feel like Polymer starts off strong but gets fatigued towards the end. But I'm only on my second listen atm.

So far Los stands out the most for me. It feels like a throwback to their early (late 90s) days, in a good way. Abla Eedio comes to mind for some reason, if only for the percussion aspect. But it's been ages since I last heard it.

9 minutes ago, ambergonk said:

So far Los stands out the most for me. It feels like a throwback to their early (late 90s) days, in a good way. Abla Eedio comes to mind for some reason, if only for the percussion aspect. But it's been ages since I last heard it.

Yeah, it specifically reminds me of the Freemix version from the Nothing Changes comp:

I like that kind of acid thing they did in Los. It's nice to hear that sound being used creatively again.

• Like 1

What do people make of the opening track, Meds Fade? I’ve got to say I’m finding it one of the weakest openers of any of their albums, but maybe it’ll grow on me. It’s not a terrible track, but usually their openers are winners for me and set a great tone for what’s to come. 

In general I’m actually enjoying that limited release they did for Elektron a little more than this album, which I only heard recently. Seems very playful and fresh and with some wonderfully twisted, bouncy rhythms. It’s a shame it didn’t get a wider release / more exposure.

Edited by Lianne

19 hours ago, Lianne said:

What do people make of the opening track, Meds Fade? I’ve got to say I’m finding it one of the weakest openers of any of their albums, but maybe it’ll grow on me. It’s not a terrible track, but usually their openers are winners for me and set a great tone for what’s to come. 

For me on some of their albums the opening tracks kinda blew the rest away. This time around not so much. It’s an ... opening track, I guess?

In general I’m actually enjoying that limited release they did for Elektron a little more than this album, which I only heard recently. Seems very playful and fresh and with some wonderfully twisted, bouncy rhythms. It’s a shame it didn’t get a wider release / more exposure.

Ha! At least they kept the Rytm - its sounds pop up every now and then on this album ?

23 hours ago, Lianne said:

WHAAAAAAT? Are you kidding? Meds Fade is one of the best openers to a Plaid album, nee any album in recent memory IMO!

I am immensely enjoying Polymer, much more than the previous album (which was good in it's own right, but there are so many *great* tracks on this release).

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, Lianne said:

Agreed that's a fantastic release. Would be nice if they put it up on Spotify or digitally on Bleep. 

Edited by beer badger

This album really pays off on speakers. it's a good car album. Not so into headphone listening to this. I think the highlights for me are The Pale Moth -> Dancers. Those two tracks together are beautiful.

Most of the second half is a tad waffly for my liking, but otherwise it's a pretty solid release!

Definitely beats The Digging Remedy, but falls a bit short of Reachy Prints for me (though I have an enormous hard-on for RP).

Standouts for me so far:

• Los
  • Maru
  • Ops
  • Drowned Sea!!!
  • Dancers

The Pale Moth starts really strong but kinda gets a bit faffy when the oboes come in. The beginning bit really reminds me of this track from Cultist Simulator though (very plaid-like)

Meds Fade is half decent but I can't figure out what they're trying to do there.

That goes triple for Recall. Interesting premise but it doesn't go anywhere. Can't figure this one out at all.

The rest is fairly standard Plaid fare. All pretty good stuff but not much else to write home about...yet...

Quite enjoying this one. I really like that growly, bass stab thing in "Ops."

Sounds like they're using quite a lot of physical modeling on this release.

loving this. plaid-y as all plaid.

for the last decade of plaid i would say this:

1. reachy prints

2. polymer

3. scintilli

4. digging remedy

but they're all quite good! and yes that elektron EP is really excellent.

9 hours ago, Aural Unrest said:

It is on Spotify.

Wires crossed but I was referring to the Elektron EP

Edited by beer badger

4 hours ago, dr lopez said:

loving this. plaid-y as all plaid.

for the last decade of plaid i would say this:

1. reachy prints

2. polymer

3. scintilli

4. digging remedy

I've never been a Plaid lover, but I picked Scintilli on a bargain box and enjoyed most of it, and I'm finding their output since more appealing compared to what they did before. My ranking would be the same!