IGNORED

Coronavirus COVID-19

BCM

16 minutes ago, Entorwellian said:
2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Welp, people are panic buying here like nuts. 

Lots of the large grocery stores (including Walmart) are sold out, shelves empty. 

Some looting starting (that's not very Canadian-like wtf?). 

Guys I wanted to make homemade burritos tonight this sucks.

I went in to Superstore here and holy fuck I was frightened. The line ups were going half way into all the aisles and everyone was panic buying toilet paper and medicine. I got n95 masks for work but the normal medical ones are gone nearly everywhere.

Also this guy, who has a lengthy criminal record, has been doing this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/03/12/were-hustlers-amid-coronavirus-fears-this-couple-has-made-more-than-100000-reselling-lysol-wipes.htm

Jesus man, that's low. I expect we see a lot more of that in the coming weeks...

Airdrie Walmart (last night I think):

A friend of mine posted pics at that same Walmart this morning, she went as soon as it opened - all grocery shelves were essentially empty. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Facepalm 2

35 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Orange man will make a very important speech soon, I wonder who he will blame. Probably the foreigners. At least you'll get to enjoy a state of emergency, while hunting for toilet paper.

Looking forward to him crashing the markets for the third time this week.

2 hours ago, goDel said:

wrt spanish flu: i know the second wave was more deadly. don't know whether that had anything to do with mutating. if you've got a credible source i'm all ears.

A series of autopsy cases of soldiers who died from influenza in 1918 reveal this evolutionary process; the viral sequences obtained from the lungs of victims who died in May 1918 (before the pandemic really took off), show an HA that binds avian-like receptors and confers poor airborne transmissibility between ferrets. However, by autumn 1918, the autopsy material reveals that the virus had mutated in ways that enhanced its ability to bind human airway receptors, presumably gaining transmissibility. Similar studies of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic virus also showed the transition from a first wave virus only just adapted enough to sustain transmission, to a third wave virus that had potentiated its adaptation to its new host.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(18)30272-8/fulltext

That seems to suggest a mutation that increased transmissibility for the 2nd wave.  It's conceivable to come up with a theory that explains rapid transmission in the 2nd wave in 1918 without a mutation occurring, but I'm not sure if there's an explanation for the change in demographics for the 2nd wave other than it mutating to a more aggressive form that caused cytokine storms.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kakapo said:

A series of autopsy cases of soldiers who died from influenza in 1918 reveal this evolutionary process; the viral sequences obtained from the lungs of victims who died in May 1918 (before the pandemic really took off), show an HA that binds avian-like receptors and confers poor airborne transmissibility between ferrets. However, by autumn 1918, the autopsy material reveals that the virus had mutated in ways that enhanced its ability to bind human airway receptors, presumably gaining transmissibility. Similar studies of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic virus also showed the transition from a first wave virus only just adapted enough to sustain transmission, to a third wave virus that had potentiated its adaptation to its new host.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanres/article/PIIS2213-2600(18)30272-8/fulltext

That seems to suggest a mutation that increased transmissibility for the 2nd wave.  It's conceivable to come up with a theory that explains rapid transmission in the 2nd wave in 1918 without a mutation occurring, but I'm not sure if there's an explanation for the change in demographics for the 2nd wave other than it mutating to a more aggressive form that caused cytokine storms.   

There it is folks - proof that coronavirus is more serious than we ever thought - a post from @kakapo that wasn't biting sarcasm.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, chenGOD said:

There it is folks - proof that coronavirus is more serious than we ever thought - a post from @kakapo that wasn't biting sarcasm.

Unfortunately I have an active interest in flu pandemics as due to an underlying co-morbidity I ended up with a serious pneumonia post 2009 swine flu.  That and Egon Schiele. 

The irony of it all is that I used to regularly see Boris Johnson cycle past my office on the South Bank when he was mayor.  I remember walking towards him once, just as a rubbish truck was over-taking him and thinking it would be so easy for me to push him under the back wheels and no-one would know.  Now the cunt has pushed me under a bus.  

• Like 5