that one? how? it wasn't that dramatic or sentimental from what I remember.

most depressing for me would probably be another Australian gem, The Rover. had me feeling a type of way for basically the rest of the year and then a bit more. it's a movie of bigly personal significance to me.

Edited by usagi

Films not yet watched. New PTA joint with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son Cooper and one of the HAIM sisters. I'll be honest--I can't stop thinking about Alana. I have a Jewess* "thing" as it is and these outfits are looking great.

*I Googled it and it's not offensive. In fact, Millenial Jewish women are reclaiming it currently but it might be the same way the N word was reclaimed? I would then be ineligible to use it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, xxx said:

Films not yet watched. New PTA joint with Phillip Seymour Hoffman's son Cooper and one of the HAIM sisters. I'll be honest--I can't stop thinking about Alana. I have a Jewess* "thing" as it is and these outfits are looking great.

*I Googled it and it's not offensive. In fact, Millenial Jewish women are reclaiming it currently but it might be the same way the N word was reclaimed? I would then be ineligible to use it. 

has some serious boogie nights' vibes. is that main bird a jew? something very enduring about her

512rBNvCN6L._AC_.jpg

this was too goofy and silly to be good. there's a whole "story" with just stephen king acting like a goofball but it comes off as extremely cringy- and ed harris doing some kind of dance routine that has been be seen to be believed

the whole thing is basically a series of jokes that never land and scares that never work

14 hours ago, usagi said:

most depressing for me would probably be another Australian gem, The Rover. had me feeling a type of way for basically the rest of the year and then a bit more. it's a movie of bigly personal significance to me.

Mm, Rover looks good. Thanks for mentioning. 

This horror flick about aging/dementia I thorough enjoyed. Not necessarily a reflection on the topics per se, but a pretty crackin' found footage horror film

5 hours ago, Nebraska said:

has some serious boogie nights' vibes. is that main bird a jew? something very enduring about her

512rBNvCN6L._AC_.jpg

this was too goofy and silly to be good. there's a whole "story" with just stephen king acting like a goofball but it comes off as extremely cringy- and ed harris doing some kind of dance routine that has been be seen to be believed

the whole thing is basically a series of jokes that never land and scares that never work

Yes she's 1/3rd of the sister group HAIM. I have to cop to digging this track at the time--it held up pretty well.

As for Creepshow, you would have had to do it when you were 8 like me lol. I rented that movie nearly every weekend from ages 8 to 10 or so. One thing that still holds up about it is the genius of Tom Savini's practical effects. He's the garbage man with the mustache at the last bit btw. It's weird--I would say that it's a "kid's movie" but only if you're an 80s kid. We have swung the pendulum so far over in terms of content that you wouldn't dream of suggesting it for kids now. The paradox is that these kids have 2 tabs open these days: Moana in one, LiveLeak or RedTube in the other. 

• Like 3

^Haim is pretty good yeah. honestly had no idea one of them was an actor too

the recent Creepshow series has been really fun imo. new season just dropped so gonna resub to Shudder for a month :cat:  i liked the first movie too iirc, i don't think i caught the second one.

Blue Ruin (8.6/10) -beautiful revenge flick, with one of the best unconditional friendships i've ever seen lol.

There Will Be Blood (9.7/10) - For whatever reason I hated this the first time I saw it. No idea why. But damn so good.

• Like 2

iZDQQbSSncT1HyeFvVikVQiyR38.jpg

classic 80s sci-fi b-movie starring all star favorite scream queen linnea quigley and former skin film goddess ashlyn gere basically rehashing the plot of aliens but getting the better half of their kit off. 

• Farnsworth 1

This was really good, a few weird impressions of the Sopranos, but it is all about Dickie Moltisanti, and the incidental Sopranos that surround his circle of cohorts. I liked the narration, and the Godfather Part 2 vibe they seemed to be mixing with Goodfellas. A few bad FX shots, but it was all about the atmosphere. A-

poster.jpg

• Like 1

so, I've been craving Egypt related stuff for a while now - don't ask me why - after coming to the conclusion that very little quality content has been put out over the years. do yall have recommendations on movies, quality documentaries, etc? I watched Secrets of the Saqqara Tomb on Netflix, a while ago, which was pretty cool. wish I was still a kid catching the Mummy franchise right now

i watched Crimson Peak finally. was alright, but the plot and horror/violence of it was a bit of some odd choices. visually t's pretty nice (despite a few weird CGI moments), and i liked the idea of how it got going, but after the first act it all felt askew not just from expectations but also from a clear path, and it just fumbled towards the end. not bad but also can't imagine wanting to watch it again (except maybe to see Hiddleston get stabbed in the face)

On 9/29/2021 at 7:48 AM, usagi said:

Spoiler

Just the whole dementia thing really hit me right in the gut... and that ending... shiiiiiiieeet...

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 8:36 AM, iococoi said:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102293/

holy buddha christ

One of the finest movies of all time.

• Big Brain 1

Sopranos movie - wasn't that bad, but I wasn't blown away by it. it felt like a classic Scorsese mafia movie, minus the experimentation he usually tries in a few scenes. in other words, a by the book movie about mafia guys in the '60s/'70s we've all seen before.

I wonder if the story/script changed to become the Dickie Moltisanti show once they realized Gandolfini's kid is not that great an actor, and no way could carry a film focused primarily on him.

the best part for me was the acting by Alessandro Nivola playing Dickie. where the hell has this guy been hiding? I thought he was fantastic.