IGNORED

Burial - Antidawn EP

auxien

3 hours ago, dcom said:

My pet peeve with Burial is that he's so consistent, he's consistently catering to those accustomed and acclimated to his style and sound, and there's no sense of adventure, just nodding off to nostalgia. He's got his signature style, but after that it's mostly just variations on a theme, a one trick pony. Don't get me wrong, Burial is still way, way up there with his compositions, arrangements and style, but wouldn't you rather be surprised than comforted?

Really disagree with this, you can criticise Burial all you like but lack of Adventure is bullshit..if he was catering to what people want he would be knocking out untrue sounding stuff still. 

• Like 1

I like this a lot, Strange Neighborhood is gorgeous. 

if you’re coming into this expecting some revolutionary new sound or even something different from Burial you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. His core sound palette has been the same for over a decade now, and I guess you’re either on board with it or not. 

not sure if the analogy is apt or not but it’s like going to a Wes Anderson movie and being surprised/upset he’s stuck to his formula. He’s had the same film aesthetic for years and years. 

I think the dude likes to make music on his own terms using sounds he really likes himself, and is obviously comfortable with. I like it for what it is, and appreciate the niche he fills for me. Lots of imitations but nobody can do it quite like him.

anyways I’m not going to change minds, just spouting off. I think this ep is excellent. 

• Like 2

Quite keen on this (played it twice in a row) Seems infinitely better than his other recent ambient tracks. Some of the synth sections are really elegant and rather spooky & beautiful. Neither dark, or light (as the title suggests). There are some nice changes of pace in each track. Plus the cover art is badass ✊

Edited by beerwolf

i'm definitely not in the camp of people who think burial is a genius and sometimes when i read stuff like mark fisher or simon reynolds i think they're going full boomer cringe on how seriously they take burial's music. we're completely immersed in the era of "takes" where people can't like things without claiming how Important and Very Serious it all is. this isn't burial's fault as far as i can tell, it's just people hear something and feel a mood from it and get all excited and then go post about how it's the most important shit that has ever happened in history. 

from my perspective this new one is...ok? i'd say it falls into this weird realm where because it's burial we all have to really think about it and have an opinion but if this was some artist that wasn't hyped it would be posted on here by dcom or extralife and like 2 people who reply and the thread would disappear instantly. i don't think this stands out as some exceptional work and the fact that this is even a 5 page thread rn is purely bc of the fact that it's burial. this is kind of what i'd say about burial's stuff as a whole - bc it's burial, we must pay attention. but imo this is just...i guess it's not too bad lol

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

i'm definitely not in the camp of people who think burial is a genius and sometimes when i read stuff like mark fisher or simon reynolds i think they're going full boomer cringe on how seriously they take burial's music. we're completely immersed in the era of "takes" where people can't like things without claiming how Important and Very Serious it all is. this isn't burial's fault as far as i can tell, it's just people hear something and feel a mood from it and get all excited and then go post about how it's the most important shit that has ever happened in history. 

from my perspective this new one is...ok? i'd say it falls into this weird realm where because it's burial we all have to really think about it and have an opinion but if this was some artist that wasn't hyped it would be posted on here by dcom or extralife and like 2 people who reply and the thread would disappear instantly. i don't think this stands out as some exceptional work and the fact that this is even a 5 page thread rn is purely bc of the fact that it's burial. this is kind of what i'd say about burial's stuff as a whole - bc it's burial, we must pay attention. but imo this is just...i guess it's not too bad lol

As always Alcofribas you grace us with your well written wisdom, and I agree with 90% of everything you just said. However I would say the last few Burial releases have garnered quite low post counts (I haven’t double checked that, but that’s my gut feeling) and received not much enthusiasm at all. I definitely feel more positive with this release, and it would seem others have responded with similar enthusiasm. But I agree with your post whole heartedly. 

Edited by beerwolf

Pretty fair observation Alcofibras. Part of it is the mystique (keeps a low profile) some of it is how his music is released (unexpectedly, non-traditional format) and some of it is just old fashioned word of mouth hype. So on its own the music may not warrant the attention it gets depending on who you ask. 

I will say that I do think he’s talented and I find his music remarkable and unique. Like I said before it scratches an itch for me, personally.

Yeah I don’t mean to complain about that stuff, I think it’s normal and just kinda how it goes. I think burial has a lot of skill and it is cool the way people have gotten into the music and been so inspired by it. 

beerwolf, you Def might be right. I can’t really remember the last few releases. Honestly, first thing that does come to mind is years ago limpyloo freaking out in a burial thread?

5 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

I can’t really remember the last few releases. 

that yorke/four collab is the only one I get stuck in my head since *Rival Dealer*

I kinda agree with everything said here, good or bad, but I’ve bought the vinyl even tho I don’t think (atm) this one is a seminal work but it’s burial on vinyl so what can i do lol

but yes, every release of his so far was good enough to me to be bought, including this one. I don’t think it’s the grosse fuge but it’s good enough…

1. good

2. enough

10 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

Yeah I don’t mean to complain about that stuff, I think it’s normal and just kinda how it goes. I think burial has a lot of skill and it is cool the way people have gotten into the music and been so inspired by it. 

beerwolf, you Def might be right. I can’t really remember the last few releases. Honestly, first thing that does come to mind is years ago limpyloo freaking out in a burial thread?

To be honest I also scratch my head about how some people go so mad over his stuff. I'f he'd never made Kindred and Rival Dealer its likely I wouldn't bother with him at all as I'm not so much into his albums. Speaking of Limpy Loo I'm sure he was resurrected from the dead, last month he was on the TV thread. Very peculiar business.

14 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

we're completely immersed in the era of "takes" where people can't like things without claiming how Important and Very Serious it all is.

this stuck out to me because it's so fucking true kinda tired of that tbh

• Like 1

I didn't have high hopes, but this is quite good.

It feels like a concession that his true skill is using samples and textures that convey a certain kind of quiet, hazy intimacy. His earlier releases combined that with beats that caught the moment, but ultimately he's a bit of a rhythmic one-trick pony perhaps (much as I kept half wanting Antidawn to drop a good bunn dadunkadun bok). I enjoy how Antidawn lets the sounds move in and out of focus without feeling like they need to fill minutes of beat-driven track – which ultimately makes it feel quite fast moving for all of its sparseness.

I'll concede that these are good vapors, and the play length really does fly by.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, X4creek said:

this stuck out to me because it's so fucking true kinda tired of that tbh

Is this review the kinda bull shit people are talking about? ? 

https://beatsperminute.com/album-review-burial-antidawn-ep/

Though im loving this Ep more & more on repeat listens just what a need on a rainy miserable January day

On 1/6/2022 at 8:16 PM, Alcofribas said:

100% this

Yeah it’s alright innit. 

Spoiler

It’s an interesting vibe he’s got going on.  Cinema, ambient, dreamy. Like it better than anything he’s done in the last 6 years or so.